Saturday, February 23, 2008

It's been a great learning weekend....and I still have another day to go!

I just got back from a two-day 'Affordable Health Care' conference put on by AFSCME. It was excellent. The premise is that every American deserves guaranteed affordable health insurance with a choice of public or private plans that cover all necessary medical services paid for by taxes on employers and individuals on a sliding scale. The message AFSCME is working to get across is that no one should have to pay more than 5% of their total household income on health care. This would cover all family members.

I treasure my weekends and alone time, but I can say this was time well spent and I am willing to dedicate free time to help clean up this systemic health care mess through education and yes, more door knocking, informational meetings, and contacting my legislators. It feels good to get fired up about something now and then! I've already called my senator and representative, and, on the way home, stopped at one of 'my' coffee shops, talked with the owner, and dropped off some promo buttons, cards and legislator contact postcards...

At the conference I was telling others about this '23 Things' project and what it incorporated. Some of the people were from Health and Social Services, school staff, and corrections around the state. They were quite taken by the learning project.

No comments: