Friday, January 25, 2008

A new blogger's added reflection

Having found something I thought was missing in Avatar choices, I just added a 'PS' to my original post. At first I was just going to delete my original comment and update it with my new information. For two reasons, I didn't.

I questioned whether deleting and rewriting (when it is more than a spelling or verb/noun agreement) is 'legal' or ethical in blogging. No one had yet responded, so editing would not have changed the thread. But it didn't feel right to change the context.

Part of this particular blog is to see how I grow in my Library 2.0 learning; and so it has begun. I had said earlier that blogging had seemed a vanity to me (already the tense has changed!). Perhaps it's all in how a blog is used. Stream of consciousness here:

- I wonder about people who have kept lifelong journals and want them burned when they die....have any of them become bloggers? What are their reasons for writing journals? I hope the actual pen and paper journal is never discarded completely in favor of a blog.

- In blogging, once a post is 'published' and read, there is no going back....just explaining or justifying an ill-made comment or observation. Talk about 'think before you speak'! Or getting all your facts before complaining!

-

2 comments:

Jennifer Arnott said...

Another 23-things blogger here -

You have a really good point about editing. My own blogging take is formed by spending a lot of time in online conversations where editing (for more than a typo/misplaced 'not' ) is either really disapproved of, or actually not possible.

I do the following:

1) Less than 5 minutes or so after I posted?

Make the correction, and make a note about it at the bottom of the post. Same thing for minor editing at any time that doesn't change meaning or wording (like a typo that's driving me crazy.)

2) A few comments make it clear there's confusion?

Add the edited material directly after the confusing part, with a note that makes it clear there's editing. (i.e. ETA: Sorry, that was confusing, here's what I meant...)

3) Comments:

A fair amount of software won't let you edit comments anyway, or has limits on it. I go for a clear explanation and information in a later comment. It works fine as long as people read through a bit before hitting 'post'.

23 Things said...

Great conversation started here. And the another ethical question--what about deleting comments you don't like/agree with (beyond the spam or nastiness)?

This would be good to introduce on the 23 Things On a Stick Ning forum.